Providing an Opportunity for Change



Victims Rights

Iowa Attorney General

Iowa Organization for Victim Assistance

Sex Offender Registry


Crime Victim Compensation Program

Crisis Intervention Services

GPS Notification for Sex Offenders

Community Resources

Board of Parole

Iowa Department of Corrections

Iowa Courts Online Search





As a crime victim, you have the right to request restitution for monetary losses related to the crime. If you are the victim of a violent crime, you may also be eligible for assistance through the Crime Victim Compensation Program (see below for more information). Restitution must be ordered by a court. The County Attorney's Office is responsible for submitting restitution requests to the court. Once ordered, restitution information will be given to the Clerk of Court. For offender payment plans and collection, the restitution order is overseen by the:

• Court (for cases where the offender is sentenced to self-probation) or after the offender has been released from other forms of custody or supervision;

• Local Department of Correctional Services (for cases where the offender is sentenced to probation); and

• Department of Corrections (for cases where the offender is sentenced to prison).

If the offender is sentenced to the supervision of the Department of Correctional Services (Probation or local Residential Facility), the Probation Officer is responsible for developing a Plan of Payment within 90 days. This Plan is submitted to the Clerk of Courts Office. If the offender is sentenced to prison, the Iowa Department of Corrections is responsible for collecting restitution. Collections are deducted from allowances paid to inmates, credits to inmates' accounts deposited from outside sources, or money earned from working while incarcerated. Inmates may earn $3.00 a day to $15.00 a day, determined by the type of job they hold. The DOC collects 20 percent of these monies and sends to the Clerk of Court in the county where restitution was ordered.

Crime Victim Compensation Program


If you or someone you care about has suffered personal injury from a violent crime, the Crime Victim Compensation Program may be able to help. This fund is managed through the Iowa Attorney General's Office. Compensation benefits may include reimbursement for lost wages, counseling, medical expenses, and other crime-related expenses. For more information or to request an application, please contact the program at 800-373-5044.

Iowa Crime Victim Compensation Program

Crime Victim Compensation Program Application- English

Crime Victim Compensation Program Application- Spanish

Victim Registration


To register, victims should contact the County Attorney's Office where the crime was prosecuted. The County Attorney will then notify the following departments of your registration:

• County Sheriff or Jail

• Clerk of Court

• The Iowa Department of Corrections

• The Iowa Board of Parole

• The Department of Justice

In addition to registering with these Departments, you may also register with Iowa VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday). This is an automated system and will only notify you of offender movement, such as movement from one institution to another or after discharge. To register with VINE, please call 1-888-742-8463 or visit the Iowa VINE website IMPORTANT: If you have registered with VINE this does NOT mean you are registered with the departments listed above. Please contact your County Attorney's Office to become a DOC registered victim.

Victim Notification


As a registered victim of the Iowa Department of Corrections, you will be notified of the following changes in offender status:

• Initial prison assignment;

• Furlough/escorted visits to the community;

• Pending discharge date;

• Escape; or

• Death of an inmate.

Victims are not automatically registered. Only those who register through the County Attorneys' Offices shall receive these mandated notifications. If the offender is sentenced to Probation, the Departments of Correctional Services may provide other types of notifications. Visit our DOC website to locate the probation/parole offices in your area Please call 1-800-778-1182 to obtain direct information regarding an inmate's movement within the system, Parole Board decisions, inmate discipline, inmate programming, etc.


VINE Online Notification


The Iowa VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) is an online automated system designed to be used by anyone in the general public to monitor the status of offenders in the state of Iowa and across the nation. By registering, one has the option to be notified through either text messages, recorded voice messages, or emails of any offender movement, such as movement from one institution to another, or release from supervision. To register with VINE, please call 1-888-742-8463 or visit the Iowa VINE website.

Sex Offender Registry


The Iowa Sex Offender Registry became law on July 1, 1995. Any individual convicted or adjudicated of a criminal offense against a minor, sexual exploitation, or a sexually violent crime or who was on probation, parole, or work release status, or who was incarcerated on or after July 1, 1995 is required to register with local law enforcement agencies. The information is available to the public through the online service.

Options available on the site include the ability to be registered to receive notifications about registrants via telephone, emails, or text messages. In addition users can access a current photograph and address for the offender as well as any change in information provided to law enforcement.

For more information:

Iowa Sex Offender Registry

Division of Criminal Investigation Department of Public Safety

Building 215 East 7th Street Des Moines, Iowa 50319

Voice: (515) 725-6050 Fax: (515) 725-6040

Iowa Organization for Victim Assistance


The Iowa Organization for Victim Assistance (IOVA) was organized in 1983 to educate Iowans regarding victim rights issues. IOVA is an organization of survivors of crime, witnesses, victim advocates, concerned citizens, and related agencies and organizations. It is organized as a non-profit (501(c)(3) organization.
IOVA pursues awareness of and support for crime victims’ rights in Iowa by:

• Advocating for short and long term changes in the criminal justice system to better meet the needs of victims and witnesses.

• Educating professionals to provide more sensitive services to victims and witnesses.

• Advocating for quality victim services through the establishment of a professional certification program for victim service professionals in Iowa.

• Provide a forum for crime victims and witnesses to voice their concerns and grievances.


For more information:

IOVA Website


Crisis Intervention Services


CIS provides sexual assault and housing services in the following counties: Poweshiek, Mahaska, Keokuk, Monroe, Wapello, Jefferson, Appanoose and Davis. We also provide assistance for victims of violent crime in the following counties: Mahaska, Monroe, Wapello, Appanoose and Davis.

Main Office: (641) 673-0336
Sexual Assault/Violent Crime Hotline: (800) 270-1620
Emergency Housing Hotline: (844) 673-5499


For more information:

CIS Brochure